View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default depends on opinions

I believe it depends on personal opinion and doctor.

I was over 40 and had no Thyroid or TOS symptoms. I was diagx with the thyroid problems after TOS injury. The spasms felt in my scalense and compression from the right is strangling my thyroid.

Sometimes I can have ok thyroid test and others off the wall. doctor did in my case relate the test readings to compression and spasms affecting limited space and inflamation of thyroid, specifically the right side compression area pressing.

The same with my eye sight and blurriness, a high day like today and the eyes are blurred, buy the time I calm it down tonight now, the vision is fine.
I trust my doctors.
Dianne

1: Vojnosanit Pregl. 2000 Nov-Dec;57(6):709-16. Links
[Multiple intrathoracic compression syndrome of thyroid etiology][Article in Serbian]
Ignjatovic M, Stanic V.
The aim of this article is to present a case report of multiple compression syndrome caused by intrathoracic thyroid papillary carcinoma and the review of compression intrathoracic syndrome of thyroid etiology. In our patient were confirmed: tracheal and esophageal deviation and compression, superior vena cava syndrome, downhill varices, chylothorax, pericardial effusion, compression of the left subclavian artery, unilateral lesion of recurrent and phrenic nerve, and brachial plexopathy. This was a unique case with multiple compression syndrome out of 2000 patients surgically treated for all kinds of thyroid diseases. Intrathoracic goiter can cause all the known symptoms and syndromes of intrathoracic compression with a possibility of rapid deterioration and fatal outcome.

PMID: 11332365 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Compromising abnormalities of the brachial plexus as displayed by magnetic resonance imaging
Dr. James D. Collins 1 *, Marla L. Shaver 2, Anthony C. Disher 2, Theodore Q. Miller 2
1UCLA School of Medicine, Department of Radiological Sciences, Los Angeles, California
2The Charles R. Drew Postgraduate School of Medicine, Department of Radiology, Los Angeles, California

*Correspondence to James D. Collins, UCLA School of Medicine, Department of Radiological Sciences, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024-1721

Keywords
anatomy • brachial plexopathy • nerve model • neuropathy • MRI • patholog

Abstract
Magnetic resonance images (MRI) of brachial plexus anatomy bilaterally, not possible by plain radiographs or CT, were presented to the Vascular Surgery, Neurology, and the Neurosurgery departments. Patients were requested for MRI of their brachial plexus. They were referred for imaging and the imaging results were presented to the faculty and housestaff. Our technique was accepted and adopted to begin referrals for MRI evaluation of brachial plexopathy. Over 175 patients have been studied. Eighty-five patients were imaged with the 1.5 Tesla magnet (Signa; General Electric Medical Systems, Milwaukee, WI) 3-D reconstruction MRI. Coronal, transverse (axial), oblique transverse, and sagittal plane T1-weighted and selected T2-weighted pulse sequences were obtained at 4-5 mm slice thickness, 40-45 full field of view, and a 512 × 256 size matrix. Saline water bags were used to enhance the signal between the neck and the thorax. Sites of brachial plexus compromise were demonstrated. Our technique with 3-D reconstruction increased the definition of brachial plexus pathology. The increased anatomical definition enabled the vascular surgeons and neurosurgeons to improve patient care. Brachial plexus in vivo anatomy as displayed by MRI, magnetic resonance angiography (MRA), and 3-D reconstruction offered an opportunity to augment the teaching of clinical anatomy to medical students and health professionals. Selected case presentations (body builder, anomalous muscle, fractured clavicle, thyroid goiter, silicone breast implant rupture, and cervical rib) demonstrated compromise of the brachial plexus displayed by MRI. The MRI and 3-D reconstruction techniques, demonstrating the bilateral landmark anatomy, increased the definition of the clinical anatomy and resulted in greater knowledge of patient care management. © 1995 WiIey-Liss, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Received: 22 March 1994; Revised: 6 September 1994
Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

10.1002/ca.980080102 About DOI

J. Noterman1, 2 , P. Dor1, 2 and A. M. Jortay1, 2

(1) Department of Neurosurgery, HÔpital St. Pierre, 1 rue Héger-Bordet, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
(2) Head and Neck Service, Institut Jules Bordet, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium

Abstract This is a report of 3 patients who had brachial plexus tumors associated with thyroid tumors. The brachial plexus tumors were schwannomas in 2 patients and a neurofibrosarcoma in one. The thyroid tumors were a carcinoma in 2 patients and a large colloid goiter in one. The association of these two conditions may be coincidental, particularly since they have nothing in common from the standpoints of embryology and pathology. However, it is interesting that approximately 10% of the reported cases of brachial plexus schwannoma have had an associated thyroid tumor.

Horner’s Syndrome and Thyroid Neoplasms - group of 6 »
I Leuchter, M Becker, R Mickel, P Dulguerov - ORL, 2002 - content.karger.com
... 1988) 65 cases of thyroid enlargement with compression syndromes ... and hand pain due
to brachial plexus invasion ... Thyroid neoplasms, benign or malignant, are an un ...
Cited by 2 - Related Articles - Web Search - BL Direct

Ectopic thyroid tissue on the ascending aorta: an operative finding - group of 3 »
RJ Williams, G Lindop, J Butler - 2002 - Soc Thorac Surgeons
... present with symptoms due to compression of adjacent ... Aberrant thyroid gland attached
to ascending aorta ... in a closed traction injury or a brachial plexus neuritis ...
Cited by 5 - Related Articles - Web Search

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote