Thread: SSI wait time
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 12:15 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich101 View Post
I am 38, diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Personality Disorder, and Panic , recently a month ago approved for benefits. The letter said I met the requirements dor SSDI. I began receiving state SSI at the medical insurance level, but Social Security told me I have an SSDI backpayment of $9,800.00. That it would be in my account in 3 to 5 days. When that expired I get no answers. I am told that my benefit of 691 dollars a month will be in fed SSI. $3 dollars in state because they handle insurance. So I ask, where is the SSDI backpay? Then I am told that I will get a letter because it is being determined on how much the SSI offset the SSDI? I am confused? Today I was told direct that August of last year until now is being held as backpay while they determine if SSI was eligible for me. When that is done I will get a letter about back pay. So does this mean they are trying to take my back pay away? I am recieving SSI, although they called it SSDI benefits in the beginning. Does this make sense to anyone out there? Lawyers say not to worry , you'll get your back pay. That I was found eligible for SSDI so they have to computate. My question is computate what. A hypothetical number of money I didn't recieve? I am lost
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0202610005

This is a beginning of an explanation.

SSI is a public assistance program. SSI payments are based on income that you actually received during the retroactive period, month by month. Windfall offset is a second computation of how much the SSI would have been if the SSDI had been paid on time. The difference between the two is windfall offset and the amount is subtracted/offset from the retroactive SSDI benefits.

It is easy to get confused. You should have an SSI award letter that explains how the SSI retroactive benefits were computed and what the total amount is. SSA needs to do the computation that is the difference between what was paid in SSI and what would have been paid if the SSDI had been paid on time. It is even possible that the SSI will be paid in installments, six months apart.

Study the numbers in both award letters. Or go talk to someone in your local office. You will not get $691 a month from SSI and $691 from SSDI. That would be a windfall.

Some people consider windfall offset to be paying back the SSI. That may be easier to understand although it's not totally correct.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
frankros (10-06-2010)