View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default decision

I do not have personal experience, I did hear her name mentioned before.
I always say it is best to have two opinions. Especially with TOS surgery. Surgery does not cure, it helps. Some symptoms are reduced. Unless you have anomalies as extra ribs or a anomalies in your body that can be removed. My daughter had several problems with short fibrous bands being caught in spasms brought on by the tos injury a stretch injury.

She had neruo damage, and not vascular, no cervical ribs. The sick nerves do not get healthy, the compression on them is hopefully lessened and frees up the space behind the collar bone and in front of the first rib where they travel. This space is tiny, removing the riob is hoped to free up. The same with the scalene, to free where the brachial bundle travels/

For a while things were greatly improved, but she had a lot of problems with scar matter, adhesions entangling the nerves. A second clean up surgery was done and pericardial patch wrapped on the cervical nerves. But, the scar mater entangled anyway.

I have a tos injury, but not the nerve damage my daughter had. I have chosen not to have surgeries, but my case in not as severe as many on here. I was off work immediately after my accident and did not suffer cumulative damage. My CT symptoms, and the knife in my back are bummers, but I get by with trigger point injections, valium for muscle spasms, topamax for head pain, percocette as I need, generally days of increased activity. In flares Toradol is a life saver. It is a strong anti inflammatory, nerves react better then to opiads for its use.

Every ones body is different; generally by the time they decide surgery is needed their life is greatly restricted.
It is not like taking out tonsils and the problem is removed. One always has TOS, but to differing degrees its long term affect is on the person. Some go in remission, many for years.

One thing is if your occupation or hobby brought on the onset of symptoms, and you return to this job or hobby, likely the same results will be aggravating the nerves.

The cervical nerves travel from the cervical spine across the traps, behind the collar bone all the way to the finger tips a single cell. That is why often a mis-diagx is made. Anywhere there is a hinge symptoms can appear. The shoulder, elbow, hand.

How close to Phila are you to see Dr Schwartzman or his associates?
Good luck with whatever you decide,
Dianne

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote