View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 02:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemom View Post
Hi, I'm slowly titrating up on Gabapentin. I am very sensitive to meds, and usually respond on very low doses. Over the last month, I have gone up very slowly reaching 500mg/day. I see my neuro next week, and I'm supposed to be up to 600 by then. The reason I have gone MUCH slower than prescribed is due to the fatigue it causes. I have three kids--need I say more?

Here's my question: While I do notice an improvement in frequency, and a little improvement in intensity, is the goal to completely eradicate symptoms? I wouldn't mind a little pain in exchange for less side effects, if that is okay. But, by allowing some pain to continue, do I increase the odds for problems in the future?

Thank you for your response.

Bluemom
You have a very interesting question and I am very curoius what the metro tells you. I can't answer it. I do understand the problems with the side effects of the drugs. I was always very sensitive and the side effects never eased for me. most people do know that some of the side effects get less noticeable within a few months as their body adjusts, but everyone is different, maybe you will be one of the lucky ones.
maybe you could increase up your dose with the hopes of alleviating all the pain and stay there for a short time and then slowly reduce down a little bit and see if you stay symptom free and your side effects be minimal. I do know that some people are not plagued by constant everyday pain and ramp their dose up when pain gets worse and then ease back off. talk to your near and then let us know.
I do understand 3 kids are enough to make you tired and I am sure you can forget a nap, but do listen or try to listen to your body.
not a good thing, but the meds I am on make me very tired and I have a cup of coffee in corning and then a left over cup of coffee with ice and milk in afternoon. It allows me to be able to keep my eyes open until 9 or 10. otherwise I would be a walking zombie. caffeine isn't the best, but 2 cups of coffee a day isn't the worst.
good luck
lisa
easygoing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote