View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 12:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Grin Congratulations! That is great news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Mae View Post
Hey there everyone

Just wanted to update everyone on my situation, since I went to the doctor today. My appointment was supposed to be this afternoon, but they had a cancellation so it was moved to this morning. I went in and we talked about which of the options (shots, pain pump, or SCS) I wanted to pursue. I told him that he said that the SCS would be most successful, so I would like to start on that process.

From what I've read here, it is usually a long process--I've read stories (not necessarily here.. just online) about it taking a year or two. My doctor said it wouldn't take that long. He said it wouldn't take a year or two--but rather, months. I am excited about that!

His nurse is going to set up an appointment for a psych evaluation for me. Then a week after that, I will go back and see him and we will set up appointments to meet with the anesthesiologist who will do the trial... and eventually set up an appointment with the rep and surgeon. I can't remember exactly the order of the appointments, but that isn't such a big deal--I'll just take it as it comes.

Here's what excited me the most, though it made me a bit nervous. I have two options as far as towns nearby to have the surgery. One is about 45 miles away and the other is 55. The town 45 miles away is smaller, but the reason I originally wanted to go there is because the doctor said that this surgeon uses newer technology. I believe he uses the Boston Scientific SCS. The town 55 miles away has several doctors to choose from, but they use older technology--I believe it is Medtronic. The first time I saw this doctor, he said that the doctor and rep 45 miles away are very good and he knows them personally, but that the ones 55 miles away (where this doctor travels from once a week to my town... his practice is in the town 55 miles away) are also good--he just doesn't work with them as often.

So today we said we'd like to go to the town 45 miles away since it sounded like that doctor is awesome. However, my doctor said that if I go there, he only does the lead wires, not the paddles. I told my doctor that from all the reading I have done since my last visit, the majority of people have the wires, not the paddles. Paddles only seem to be put in (from my reading--though I could be wrong) when a person has always been extremely active or in a few specific situations.

My doctor said that most of the people he sees with SCS implants get the paddles--so it is the reverse. The paddles are used much more. That seemed odd to me, but whatever!

I said that I would be more comfortable with the paddles since they are less likely to move... however, I realize it is a tougher surgery to go through and a longer/harder recovery. The thing is--I haven't been able to be active for all of my life because of pain. I'd love to be able to ride bike, run, have kids someday... all of those things. And since I'm only 24, the last thing I want is to have surgery after surgery because the lead wires slipped. He said it doesn't happen often... but because of my age and because I have a lot of life ahead of me, he thinks the paddles would be a better choice.

Most of the research I've done is on the wires... so now I'll have to look at things specifically for the paddles. They sent two DVDs for me to watch--but they are old. When they get back to the town they usually work from, they said they would send some updated ones as well, along with reports of my last two appointments.

So, I'm a bit nervous about the thought of the paddles... it sounds so much more painful... BUT I think it would be a better choice for me if I hope to become very active in the future. Obviously, it depends on my medical problems, because if I still have the pooling in my legs and feet, I can't get out of bed much even if my pain is better. But we'll see.

So, my process is officially starting. It's becoming real, and he said that as long as the trial goes well, within months I will have a SCS. First step (the evaluation) will be coming up very soon!

I'm excited... but nervous at the same time!
That is so great Sarah! And I totally understand how you are nervous and excited because I am the same way right now! I also have been trying to find more information on the paddles but am not having much luck just the regular leads so maybe I am not looking in the right direction? I am very happy for you and I hope this process goes by very quickly! I also wanted to say that it did not take that long for me to get my stim implant I believe it was accident 2/2008, then went through shots, phys therapy, and had the trial done in 4/2008 and then had the pysch eval 6/2008 and then had permanent placement in 08/2008. I had the lapses because I had to find a new doctor to do a permanent and I was also seeing other doctors for other health problems. It did not feel like it was that long since I was in so much pain and just had recovered from a recent partial disk removal the summer before the accident! It is so hard to be chronically ill and in pain when you are young (its hard at any age tho) because you see all your friends living their lives while you have no control over yours, so I can understand where you are coming from about that! I will keep you in my prayers and I know that things are going to work out for you and that you will finally get some relief from all the suffering! Take care 'sTara
tchr012 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon21816 (09-16-2010), Mark56 (09-15-2010), Rrae (09-20-2010), smae (09-15-2010)