View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Fall, volunteering, employment ??

Fall is here.

In spring, I resigned from a one morning per week job in a preschool for two reasons:
- the director (a friend) was leaving to return to school and I did not want to begin fall with a new person whom I did not know. They usually have a small "pot" to draw from when hiring new directors, because they look for a member from their church congregation.
- I had planned to open a pre-school like program in my home this fall. However, that fell through, due to finding qualified, reliable staff to assist me.

So, ... I'm going back to just doing volunteer stuff. Which is OK. However, I started volunteering in a Kindergarten classroom, and, the teacher gives me paper to cut at the paper cutter half the time I'm there. Hoping that will change. I'd really prefer to be with the students. That's why I choose to volunteer in a school setting.

Wishing I could find something that would pull in a little income. Although income isn't the biggest issue; disability income provides for my needs. Or, something more intrinsically satisfying.

Or, something I could do at home. I'd even consider doing things at home that are not related to child care/preschool. Stuff on computer, whatever, to fill my time. But, anything that's not scamming people is hard to find in that area. Also, I'd prefer not to earn more than $220 a month, because I currently just got on lifetime disability for my LTD (through my previous employer), if I don't go over that. If I increase to somewhere up to $600 a month or so, they put me back on a 2 year thing and keep re-evaluating all the time.

I have some options that I'm considering for next fall, assuming that this Kindergarten thing doesn't improve this year. (The previous two years, I was volunteering in a 5th grade classroom, and I liked that real well, but, the teacher's staffing has changed, and she no longer needs volunteers, as she has more special needs kids, and more paid paras. Next year, I'm considering volunteering for a preschool that, except for the two co-directors, uses only volunteers. This year, by the time I decided not to pursue my own program, I assumed they'd have those positions filled.)

Actually, I don't know why I'm posting. Just rambling, mostly, I guess. Just sort of dissatisfied, and not sure where to go with that. I sort of wish, now, that I would have kept my preschool job. But, I didn't know then that my program was not going to work out, and that would've been my first choice.

I've thought about checking into substitute positions in some of the local preschools, but, I'm guessing that they've hired everyone they need for this school year already. I'd rather do that for preschools than childcare centers, because working half days would likely be more of an option, and I don't have the stamina to work more than a 3 or 4 hour shift. There's one child care center that I could probably get on as a sub for shorter shifts. But, I used to work there PT, and quit because I wasn't happy with the quality of their facility. Wouldn't work there again.
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote