View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Angel,

Sorry to hear of your daughter's injury. I have a friend who suffered a similar injury except he was in a coma for three months. It took him two years to learn to talk and walk. That was twenty years ago next month. He is fully ambulatory. Talks with just a bit of a struggle. Is a Master at backgammon. Travels the USA competing in Veterans' Paralympics. His busted body limits his full mobility.

You can likely look forward to a different personality. She is the same inside by will struggle to relate to others in the same way. You desperately need to read Dr Glen Johnson's TBI Survival Guide. It is online at www.tbiguide.com and available for download to print out at http://www.drakecenter.com/file.axd?...vivalGuide.pdf

Most important is to be non-reactive to her struggles. She has enough negative reaction inside her mind. Support her. Accept her as she is now. This is the new her. Help her accept her current condition. Try to treat her like a normal person. Limit the chaos in her life. Loud noises, visual clutter, voices. Too many voices at the same time can be overwhelming to most TBI subjects.

The lower her stress levels, the better her brain can heal. Stressful events can set her back days or weeks. Too many visitors for the holidays or just a get together can be stressful. Try to learn to recognize when she has become or is becoming overwhelmed. You will likely see it in her eyes. Her gaze will start to look vacant. Observe her environment and try to help her avoid such an environment in the future. She may be able to talk with friends for a few minutes but not a half hour. This is normal.

Let us know about her difficulties. We are a diverse group of TBI and mTBI people with many life experiences.

My best to you and your daughter.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
angel30656 (09-16-2010)