View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 12:06 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well, I haven't had it done, but I've had spinal surgery and I can tell you that after you get home, you're going to need help. You're not going to be able to do things on your own for awhile. You're going to be in pain, and will need rest - you're going to WANT rest too!

Since this is your neck, of course you're not going to be able to turn your head for while. I'm sure they'll have you in a neck brace/collar for several weeks. You have to keep the neck stable while it heals. They will give you your restrictions when you leave the hospital, but some are: no bending, lifting, twisting, reaching. There will be plenty of others. LOL. You will probably have a LITTLE trouble swallowing at first - that might be while you are still in the hospital. I don't know how long that lasts, but it's bothersome. Naturally, you'll be on liquids while that is going on.

One thing you MUST make sure of ~ You must make SURE that your surgeon gives you a prescription for PLENTY of pain meds for when you get home!!! too often they give you enough for just a week or so, and you're going to need it for much longer than that!!! So be sure you have plenty of refills, depending on what he gives you. Some meds, he cannot write "refill" on it, such as MSContin. Those have to be taken in by hand. They can't be refilled. - at least not in the states around here.

I wish I could give you more info. All I know is I needed help when I had my surgery - and even tho mine was lumbar and yours is cervical, you're still going to need help with things. Your neck does more work than people think. God bless and when you feel up to it after surgery, please check in and let us know how it went, ok? I'd like to know. Take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote