Thread: Psycho-therapy?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 12:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

the phrase "seeing a therapist" should be banned from our vocabulary! It sounds like dating! Therapy is more like a guide into your heart for your life journey. It can really be terrific. As a first step, I recommend reading a quick summary of the different types of therapy because there are several approaches: supportive, cognitive, etc. If you have mood ups and downs, cognitive therapy teaches you tools to control those ups and downs, and how to use your intellect to control your emotions. Anybody who lives with chronic pain can benefit from an individual trained in pain management techniques giving them tools and tips (that is what a therapist does) adapted to your own life. Finally, if a friend keeps suggesting you should go - they're probably right. Often friends and family see things about ourselves long before we are able (or willing) to see them in a mirror. I have found that therapy is the most useful when you have unfixable problems.
Just my perspective... I was dragging kicking and screaming into therapy initially, but I wouldn't be alive today if I hadn't been. I still have FM and tons of other crap in my life (no bombs yet) but my mood swings are smoother, and my friends are very grateful for that! I did it for them, and for my children.
mollymcn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote