View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Angel,

My friend has similar struggles. I got him hooked up to the internet back in March. He can communicative by email without any symptoms of his injury. Email takes the speaking irregularities out of the way. He volunteers at the YMCA a few times each week and also at the VA hospital. This allows him to have social contacts with people who understand his difficulties.

I met him at a Brain Injury Support group. Have you checked into any Brain Injury Support groups? Ours serves both the injured person and their caregiver. It is very helpful. The caregivers group is very good for my wife. Even though I am likely the highest functioning in the group, my wife can still connect with others who deal with the same personality and cognitive issues.

There is a wide variety of TBI persons in our group. Some are wheel chair bound, others need canes or walkers, some are highly ambulatory but have speech difficulties, and the list goes on. Some live entirely on their own. Others live in a supportive group home or with family. The ability to observe all of the different symptoms, behaviors and personalities is very helpful.

Most are many years post injury. Their positive outlook on life is remarkable. My wife thoroughly enjoys meeting with the other caregivers.

I am sorry if I am babbling. I am trying to endure one of my many headaches while I wait for the Tylenol to take effect. This head ache started last night at 7:00 pm. It has come and gone through out the night and morning. Just another part of TBI or for me, mTBI/multiple concussion syndrome.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote