View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
shamuboy,

Concussion and anxiety can be a terrible mix of problems. Each can exacerbate the other. I have an anxiety disorder, likely from my concussion history and a traumatic event. It is hard to differentiate the PCS symptoms from the anxiety symptoms. There is so much overlap.

Was this the first time you have had a bump to your head?

How is you diet? Anxiety disorder can be made worse by poor diet.

Avoid caffeine, MSG, aspartame and other stimulating foods. They make anxiety much worse.

Are you on any medications for your anxiety? Any blood pressure meds?
I have some blood pressure meds to help be get down from the high blood pressure from an anxiety attack. For some, it is easier or better to treat the individual episodes than medicate 24/7. It is also very important to learn anxiety triggers. Then you can learn to modify your environment and make thought choices (CBT, Cognitive Behavior Therapy) as you notice the triggers.

You are awful young to be going through this on your own. Do you have someone with you when you visit the doctor? You need the support and advocacy of a guardian/parent.

Please, keep us informed of how you are doing.

My best to you.
My diet is very poor. I am only about a 120 pounds but I eat a lot but don't seem to gain weight.

I am on medication for my Anxiety, Depression, and Panic. It's a generic called Sentraline. I'm taking about 50 MG but my doctor said people my age are usually taking 200 MG. Which scares me... It makes me think that my medication is making it way worse.

And yes, this is probably one of the first times I have ever got hit in the head that hard. Right after it happened I noticed that I was seeing stars and dizzy and couldn't talk, but a few minutes later I felt normal and fine with just nothing but a headache. I didn't think of anything at the time of PCS or a concussion..

Then on a Friday morning I woke up feeling not myself. My thoughts seemed... quiet. They were so quiet, not as loud as they used to be. And that's the worst part of the whole thing. Because I can barely hear my own thoughts, I feel like I'm above my body watching my life go on and on. And it hurts because of school, though I seem to be doing okay in school so far. I have to wait until the 22 for the doctor to look at me and I'm really excited to know more about it. I just want to feel the same. I'm miserable and nobody knows it.

I'm seeing a counselor at school now but sooner or later I might need a shrink or something along those lines. My panic attacks are becoming less and less now... does that mean that I'm starting to get a little better? And I find myself tired a lot, but I'm busy so maybe thats why I'm so tired.

I just have a question or two. What is up with my thinking? Is it PCS or something different? Can it be something different? And since I'm so young will I start to feel better soon? Or late. Thanks for reading. You guys are really helping me.
shamuboy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote