View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 10:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A stem cell treatment that looks beyond dopamine

Funny, I was noting how much I liked Rick's thought in his Stress post:
"There is more in the world than dopamine" When lo and behold, I stumbled upon this little gem reported early this spring.

Apparently, scientists have discovered a novel form of stem cell treatment involving embryonic medial ganglionic eminence (MGE) cells. This type of treatment is unique because it completely bypasses the lack of dopamine. Given that with traditional stem cell treatment, the aim is to restore dopamine...only to have the new dopamine cells killed off all over again.

With the MGE cells, the GABA neurons are inhibited and it slows down the excitatory process that takes place in PD. Better yet, this may treat more than just PD:

The results, the scientists say, demonstrate that the transplanted cells, known as embryonic medial ganglionic eminence (MGE) cells, can very precisely modify the balance of excitation and inhibition in neural circuits to influence behavior. As overactive neural circuits are associated with other neurodegenerative diseases -- a result of nonfunctioning or missing cells or abnormal synaptic transmission -- the finding may have broad implications.

The Full Monty

I must say things are looking a little brighter these last few days.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon72219 (09-18-2010), imark3000 (09-19-2010), moondaughter (09-19-2010)