View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 02:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Driving and anxiety

Anyone get the emails from Julie Stachowiak, PhD? The other day I got one about driving and anxiety. First time I have seen validation in writing for what happens to me.....I'm not a nut job after all. Here is what she says:

Multiple Sclerosis Blog
By Julie Stachowiak, Ph.D., Multiple Sclerosis Guide

My BioMy BlogMy ForumRSS.Driving and Multiple Sclerosis - Do You Do It?
Tuesday September 14, 2010
Abject fear of driving was my first "real" symptom of multiple sclerosis, which ultimately led to my diagnosis (albeit in a roundabout way).

It was weird, as most of these symptoms are - I would get in the car and immediately feel anxious. I would press on, forcing myself to go places, even though I was terrified the whole time. I felt like I was in a video game, even when there were few other cars on the road and the pace was slow. A car switching lanes 100 yards ahead of me would tempt me to slam on the brakes, as it seemed like a collision was inevitable with such "reckless" and erratic drivers on the road. Approaching a traffic circle would be a gut-clenching nightmare of trying to find an opening, waiting too long, finally speeding out in front of traffic as someone honked and yelled.

Everybody that I mentioned this to had a diagnosis and advice. "You are just stressed." No, I really wasn't (besides the driving experience itself). "You need more sleep." No, I was sleeping fine. "You just have to keep practicing." I had been driving for 20 years, so couldn't figure out what this one meant.

Once I got my MS diagnosis, about 6 months later, and learned a little more about this disease, things made a little more sense. I think what I was experiencing was a form of cognitive dysfunction, a slowing of information processing that made it difficult to integrate and make the hundreds of little microdecisions that are involved with driving.

These days, I might go for months without driving. That is hard, and I am basically dependent on my husband to help me get out-of-the-house things accomplished. However, there are also good times (driving-wise), where I will confidently navigate local streets (still no freeways for me) and feel like I am in control of my universe. There are also in-between times, where I find myself halfway to my destination, realizing that maybe this isn't ideal - during these times, I keep a running mental dialogue going, telling myself that a traffic light is coming up and not to slam on the brakes if someone slows down way up ahead of me.

Don't get me wrong - I do NOT drive if I think I am dangerous or if I feel the least bit anxious. Before I go out, I always ask myself how I am feeling and if it is a good idea to get behind the wheel. I allow myself to be disappointed, but proud of myself for my "maturity," if I decide that I have to stay home.

If you obsess about things that may happen and they don't come true...then you've wasted your time. If it does come true....then you've lived it twice.
karilann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AynaDee (09-23-2010), Blessings2You (09-18-2010), Dejibo (09-18-2010), Kitty (09-18-2010), SallyC (09-18-2010)