Old 09-18-2010, 03:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Name of Dr. at UCSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty333 View Post
Hi dankgrl13,
Who was your doctor at UCSF?
What part of your spine did you have CSF leak? lower back, cervical?
Dankgirl 13, I live in Bay Area and have been wanting to go to UCSF for a second opinion of what has happened to me. PLEASE let us know the anm,e of your doctor. I had sinus surgery at Kaiser Oakland last March and it turned into a nightmare. A month after the surgery, liquid just stating pouring from my nose. The H&N surgeon insisted I had no problem and "just to wait". Well, I happen to be a professional wind instrument musician with a family and the leak has put me out of business! The H&N surgeon insisted that I just had a "runny nose" and sent me to Allergy. They placed me on allergy shots, inhalers and antihistimes. What a JOKE! The leak got worse. I insisted on a beta transferin test which took 1 month! The test came back positive for fluid. Again I was told to "wait". No explanantion at all. In August the H&N surgeon finally had me undergo CT scan and MRI scan as well as a radioactive tracer test including sticking 6 HORRIBLE collection plugs the size of clothespins up my nose for 24 hours. The plugs made me sneeze convulsively from the time they were in and by the time I came back to the hospital the next day, I went in to shock and was thrashing around like a fish on the gurney. The the vomiting started. 2 days prior to this test I was rushed to the ER with a 104F. We thought menengitis had set in. In total, I had 3 lumbar punctures that still feel like they happened yesterday. The Nuclear test found 3 leaks in my upper sinus and the scan showed a thinned area likely the source of the leak. My doctor NEVER discussed the findings with me and I had to find an intern willing to speak with me. He was good and explained everything to me. However, he doesn't see patients. My doctor is 72 years old is head of the depatment and from my family's point of view, simply cares less about his patients especially one he likely injured. He seems to be to avoiding me. Here's the REAL intereting part: the plugs apparently moved mucosa over the leaks and the leaks stopped! It's been a month and half w/no leaks, but the pressure behind the leak loacation is very uncomfortable and the lumbar punctures didn't help. I've been to so mant Dr. appointments, that I may eventually be dismissed from my day job because of the constant disruptions. Anyone else have a sinus surgery story?
frankd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote