View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

shamuboy,

I would highly recommend that you ask to be referred to a pediatric psychiatrist with a specialty in panic disorders and hopefully with knowledge of concussion issues.. At your age, there are many factors to be concerned with. You current doc is very wise at dosing only 50 mgs. The adolescent brain is very sensitive to SSRI's like Sertraline (Zoloft). Plus, the clinical research show no difference is gained from a higher dose.

Personally, I believe that only psychiatrists should be allowed to prescribe psychotropic drugs, especially for pediatric or adolescent patients.

You previous head hit may be connected to the second. Multiple Impact Syndrome results from impacts that happen to a previously impacted brain. The research shows that the closer the timing, the lower the impact forces need to be to cause symptoms.

Now, you need to look to the future. Your brain has shown you that it is sensitive to impacts. This means two things. One, you should make every effort to avoid any further brain trauma. This includes the physical impact forces but also the chemical trauma of recreational chemicals, whether they are alcohol, THC, or something stronger.

Two, you should start treating your brain as an injured organ and start giving it good nutrition. This means avoiding bad foods or excesses of such as caffeine and aspartame (Equal or Nutrasweet artificial sweeteners) and consuming a good diet rich in B vitamins, folic acid, Omega 3's, D3, and all of the anti-oxidants. It would be best to take supplements at 2 to 4 times the RDA or even more. Avoid the Energy or Power drinks. The individual ingredients can be both good and bad for a brain but the valid medical standards are not there.

As vini says, time is already starting to show you improvements. Time is a serious part of the recover scheme for concussion.

Let us know how you are doing.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote