View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 12:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, I definitely know Exactly how you feel as I suffered a severe TBI almost 10 years ago. You are early in your recovery and you should look into HBOT(hyperbaric oxygen therapy) to assist in your recovery. Look up Dr. Richard Neubauer- Ocean Hyperbaric Neurologic Center in Lauderdale by the sea, Florida. He is the father of HBOT and its use for neurologic injuries. This treatment helped me the most of everything I did and I did all the conventional treatments and therapies.-I just wish I had known about this treatment option earlier. I too lost eveything including those I thought were friends, but I made some new friends that have really been helpful. Many times I have thought why didn't I just die as it would have been much easier and alot less painful. But I didn't die and I am presently taking each day as it comes(some definitely better than others!). I not only lost my ability to work and be productive(I was an equine veterinarian), but I lost my parents during this time and what my only brother did to me and them makes him lost to me also. The doctors and therapists just kept telling me what I couldn't do and it was all too negative(and I am negative enough!) so I researched and did my own thing. Never supposed to drive I do that now and never to be around horses I have three and a mini mule I take care of and "play" with. I have done some vet consulting for former clients and some new horse folks I met after my accident. Still would like to come up with a way to have an income as I too am barely hanging on financially but I am hanging on! I did try just about everything after my accident to facilitate healing and still it seems there should be someone in the medical community that could offer input into why my plastic brain has not formed new connections to allow my body to function. Both gross and fine motor are severely effected but nothing with memory,emotional or cognitive function. So basically I can't walk(or do so with great difficulty spending alot of time on the ground!) or talk intelligibly(I have dysarthria due to the muscles in my pharaynx not functioning- fyi:100 muscles are responsible for speech!). Hang in there and play it out. Do look up Dr. Neubauer and HBOT.Would enjoy talking to you anytime so ask me anything. Dr. Dianne Peek
drpeek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote