View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default It's like cars....the ....

muffler guy 'does' mufflers....the 'alignment' guy does the tires, frames and all that keeps it going straight.

Since I've both Ocon and Neuro [in my case, the neuro came first] It's simple: Ocon deals primarily with the CANCER and a bit with the adjunct aspects, such as neuropathy; The Neruo deals with the NERVES and what all has caused the nerve issues and specializes in what can be done to treat nerve problems. Their areas of expertise overlap a BIT, but their knowledge of specific treatments are very different. Go visit www.neuroexam.com to find out exactly what neuro's look for, test for and why for some insight. The neuro's range of need to know's is different but just as big as the oncologists'.

PN in and of itself, by itself 'Gets No Respect'! The research being done on PN is in relation to other issues [causes], such as diabetes, cancers, eiplepsy, AIDS, spinal injuries, and a few other conditions. Every little bit learned about how nerves die and why, then regrow-how and why are important to anyone with neuropathies. Because, we ultimately benefit on the side! The vast majority of the meds and treatments used for PN are 'off-label' or not fully tested and approved for PN use by the NIH and FDA. As with many cancer treatments-WHO CARES? Especially if it works! Nerves can die due to a zillion reasons at the rate of miles per minute....they regrow at 1cm [less than 1/2 an inch] per MONTH! Only when all things are 'right'. Yes, it can take years to heal the damage...key is reducing the pain and encouraging optimum nerve regrowth.

It takes a LOT of learning, good living, and following your instincts - if your mind says 'something's not right' well, try and listen to it. The key is to get your docs all on the same page. If you've read other's posts here, and I bet from your own experience, it's easier to herd cats!

I hope this helps! - j

Mrs D ison target w/the ALC...Look up NIH clinical trials...there's lots of stuff going on!
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote