10 yr Member
Default congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylilyfan View Post
Are you all ready for some good news?

are you really ready?

I heard from Social Security.....

I am APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My first check should be in my account in October.

But my backpay will take up to 6 months.

I cannot believe it. No lawyer, no appeal -- amazing. They found me disabled from the date my employer let me go in Dec. 2009. With the waiting period, that means I started disability June 2010. So I won't get on Medicare till June 2012 - which may mean I go a year without insurance - because my COBRA will end June of 2011. I'll have to see what I can do on that. No insurance company with a brain would cover me.

I will know more once I get the actual letter - such as was I classified as permanently disabled, or will I have to get a new decision after so many years, things like that.

But -- I am SOOOOOO happy!!!!!!! Such a relief.

Congratulations!! By the grace of God, I was approved on my first go round too. I know what a relief it is. Double check on your COBRA coverage. Many policies have a stipulation for coverage that allows for an additional 18 months of coverage (total of 36 mos.) for those who are deemed disabled HOWEVER you must notify them within 60 days of being deemed disabled that you intend to extend coverage. I ended up getting screwed this way because I did not notify them within the 60 days. Luckily I qualified for the state insurance risk pool and did not go without insurance until my Medicare came through. But it was a nightmare and caused a lot of unnecessary stress. Hope this info helps.

Cricket
Cricket183 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote