View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 07:11 AM
anon21816

anon21816

Sarah

Im so sorry to read that you are so upset and frustrated with your evaluation.
Im sure that the Dr didnt mean to upset you at all. I too like Tara did an evaluation where I was asked a selection of questions relating you myself, my family, my daily life, my home life, my marriage, my social life. Some of the questions were repeated in different instances. This was how she got a broad insight as to how I am. There were times when I did share some information that I though 'oops' wonder will that go against me, but then it was the truth and needed to be said. There is no point in holding back because you need to tell them everything about yourself, even if you did feel, oh heck wish I hadnt said that, because then you know that you have been true to yourself and not hiding anything. That way a full evaluation can be made.

My psych explained to me that when clients arrive for this 'test' they feel as if they are being tried for something that 'might not be there'. This isnt the case. The referring Dr would have sent you for evaluation because your Dr KNOWS that you are in chronic pain and need to go that step further. They will know that you need something 'extra' now to manage the pain. Be it a pain pump or SCS or whatever. The psych also knows that the reason you are coming is because you are in chronic pain. Dont think they dont know your full background because they will and your Dr would have informed them before you went to meet them.
I was also told by my psych that the reason for these 'tests' prior to your implantation is that they want a full insight into how you are, how you think, how you feel etc. They arent there to catch you out whatsoever. If there are any underlying 'problems' that need to be address before you can proceed with the SCS. For example, she told me about a lady who came to her, who was in chronic pain for years. She was being referred as she was hoping to have the SCS implanted. But on evaluation the psych found that she had some domestic problems. That this lady felt that if she didnt have chronic pain and got the SCS and it helped her, that the domestic problems , which are a result of her not being able to cope in her family life, would basically disappear. So she was banking on the SCS 'fixing' her domestic problem. But the psych said, before they would consider her for the SCS she would have to get help with her domestic problems and not to be depending on the SCS to do so. So here is an example of a lady with 'underlying problems'. She did have many examples for me but Im sure you get the gist of it. They are there for your own good.
When I was finish my psych told me there and then what the report would say, that I was ok to proceed. Im sorry that your psych didnt do the same for you. Im wondering if you could perhaps ring them and ask them what will they be saying to your Dr. Afterall, they would have made their mind up as soon as they spoke with you and finished the evaluation. October is a few weeks away and its no joke waiting and waiting and waiting to find out. Think about ringing.

I hope you feel a bit better today and try to be positive. Im sure we will all be congratulating you too in the coming weeks

Jackie
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (09-21-2010), Rrae (09-21-2010), smae (09-21-2010), tchr012 (09-22-2010)