Thread: New to Forum
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 02:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New to Forum

Hello!

I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I have been diagnosed with TN for about 9 months now. I'm 45 years old. In one of the Texas TNA newsletters, they surveyed 1300 members to see how long it took them to get diagnosed. As most of you know, it can take awhile. I was in the top 5% of those surveyed and was diagnosed immediately by a new dentist that just took over from my old dentist. It's rare to get diagnosed so quickly. I had two cavities filled and it was the final insult to the nerve. I believe I started with preTN and by the time I saw my neurologist (who confirmed the diagnosis) about five days later I was having the electrical zaps and being stabbed in my face. Carbatrol knocked the sharp pain out within 2 days.

I also deal with a secondary type of pain that also comes in attack form. I am mostly pain free during the day but I have one or two attacks a day when the nerve is mad. The attacks can last for minutes up to 2 hours but generally are 30mins in length. It is lancinating pain in the right half of my tongue, top/bottom teeth, jaw, cheek, or ear all on the right side which can vary in intensity. Triggers have developed steadly over time - loud noise, chewing, talking, wind on my face and just recently brushing my teeth. These triggers trigger the pain I just mention above since Carbatrol when it works, knocks out the sharp pain. The pain has been steadily aggressive and jumping over my medication. When that happens then I get the lighting bolts and the most horrific pain in my teeth that will last for 4 seconds than off for 50 seconds - that lasted for hours once until I went to the ER. I understand what hell is upon this earth - classic TN pain! The longest remission that I have had is 7 weeks. The attacks come in clusters and then leave for a period of time.

My body is all of a sudden rejecting Carbatrol. I have been having intolerable side effects. Everytime I reduce this med they go away. I had medicine induced depression on Neurotin (great pain relief though!!). Lyrica doesn't work well and my Neurologist said it is time to see a Neurosurgeon.

I am scheduled to have MVD surgery with Dr. Jonathan White at UT Southwestern in Dallas early next month. It concerns me that some of the pain that I have deviates from the classic profile. I think if I wasn't diagnosed so quickly that I would see more of the classic symptoms. But, hey, I not willing to get off the meds to find out! Ha! Can anyone with Atypical TN weigh in on what I described and let me know if it sounds familiar? No neurologist nor neurosurgeon has diagnosed me with ATN but I covet your opinions.

I have a great God given peace about the surgery that is coming up. I will let you know of the outcome.

I look forward to getting to know you better. I know that just our sharing and communing together is a way to strike back against TN. Knowledge, friendship, peace, love, community,and hope are powerful antedotes against pain!

Be Blessed!!
Rae of Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (10-04-2010), Rrae (09-21-2010)