View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 07:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
are you on SSDI? If yes, do whatever you want.

Save it, give it away, pay your debts, gamble, travel, bury it in the backyard, buy a HDTV and Blue Ray DVD player and a nice recliner and subscribe to Netflix, get your teeth fixed, get your roof fixed and a new furnace for your home. Whatever you want. It may be the last time in your life that you have a lump sum of money, so making good choices for your comfortable future may be in your best interest.

Are you on SSI? If yes, do whatever you want but keep receipts and don't give it away (like share the wealth with the adult children) unless you don't care if SSI penalizes you for a few or many months for giving away your money. Also, if you want to stay on SSI, don't buy a second house or a second car or any other countable resource that exceeds $2000. Also, the retroactive benefits are excluded from the $2000 resource limit for 9 months so you don't have to spend it all today.
I just found out today that I was approved for SSI, and have a question. You can't give any of it away without being penalized? So if I wanted to give a portion of my back pay to my mom for rent for living here with her, I cannot do that? If so, I will accept it--I just want to know for sure either way. I would like to give her the money I haven't been able to because I haven't had any income.

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote