Thread: saw the doc
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 12:50 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Good for you that you found a doctor that you like and shows you respect.

I am interested in the reason for the Ritalin. You are on a small dose but the research I have read about Ritalin is sketchy. It appears to have some short term benefits but not much is said about long term outcomes. My neuro read me the riot act for attempting to overcome the tiredness/sleepiness with some caffeine. He did not want me using any kind of stimulant.

Is your speech problem about articulation or more about getting a word from your brain to your lips? I struggle to get words from my brain to my lips and the speech therapist did not see it as a treatable symptoms. I sometimes will use the wrong word that is close or starts with the same letters. I have a TBI friend who does this with extraordinary flair. Her willingness to expose her struggles is a tribute to the strength of her joyous personality.

The 3 to 5 hours a day of intense therapy sounds extreme. It is common for someone coming out of an extended coma but not so much for lesser brain injuries. When I was seeing three therapist a day, it left me exhausted. And I was 9 years since my most recent injury. Beware the rehab facility that is trying to fill their schedule. Ours is good at maxing out insurance coverage with therapy appointments.

I wish you well with this new doctor.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote