View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 12:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Today's visit to the neuros

did not turn out as expected. Why? Because now it seems that they have anchored upon the origination of my problem back in January as being a thalamus area stroke that resulted in a CNS and not PN syndrome, something called Dejerine-Roussy. This conclusion was made because of the overnight onset of burning symptoms which they say does not occur in PN, even though the June brain MRI w/contrast did not show stroke. They said PN comes on gradually and doesn't hit everywhere (mostly) as it did me all at once like a big sledgehammer.

However, D-R supposedly affects only one side of the body, which they had mentioned, but said the event could have occurred right in the middle of both thalamic hemispheres and that would account for my two-sided symmetrical symptoms. Then D-R would pretty much fit my case. But forgot to ask how does the positive skin biopsy for SFSN jibe with the thalamus stroke Dx?

Was Rx'd a sympatomatic - nortriptyline, low dose 10 mg titrated up to 20 mg after 10 days. Forget it - frightening (to me) possible common to serious side effects. Plus it's to be taken with caution by anybody on thyroid med which I am and they know that.

I apologize, but am back to being confused again and don't know if it's even worth getting another opinion.
Sheltiemom18 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote