View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 01:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
Kim, I think you meant to say omega-6 in that post...
Thanks for looking out for me MrsD! Goodness knows I need it!

In this case though, I meant omega 3.

Grain fed animals have good omega 6 levels but lousy 3 levels. If they are fed grass, the omega 3s rise up in what is thought to be a better balance with the omega 6.

And I've read many times how the nad (north american diet) is so lacking in omega 3. Well, no wonder, if we're all feeding our food grain!

Eggs are an excellent example, and seeable by the human eye. There's just more colour (more alpha and beta carotenes in them) as well as a higher omega 3 level.

I'm getting closer and closer to taking one of my eggs in, along with a store bought egg and one that I get from a local farmer that feeds only corn to his chickens. I think it will be very interesting to see the difference (even though my chickens are obviously much older than the chickens of the other eggs). As soon as I get around to it, I'll post my results.

Boy, I hope I don't have to eat mud! All this theory is based on what I've read from other places. I am looking forward to seeing the results for myself, with my own eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogtorJ View Post
Which variety are they...dinochicks or chickosaurs?
My chickens are not necessarily a specific 'type'. They're the 'type' that happens to be easy to get in my area. The farmers won't give them a name. They look like something between a Red Star and a Road Island Red. The temperaments range between those two also, so that makes it even harder to tell.

We had a Frankenchicken, Gladys... those are the white ones that you see in commercials. There's a 'real' name for them but I forget what it is. They're man-made and have the most wonderful temperaments on the planet... but they grow too fast and too big for their hearts and their legs. So, they don't last very long. The thought of Gladys still brings tears to my eyes. At about a year old, she was the size of a turkey and died of heartfailure. When I sat in the back yard, she would always want to come and sit on my lap.

Don't get me started on my girls! Al, will tell you... I just love my 'girls'! ... Well, maybe not Blooie... she's really just the most wicked chicken on the planet. She's lucky I don't know how to kill kosher... yet...

She has a habit of sneaking up behind you and pecking you on the back of your leg. And she'll go into attack mode with no provocation... raising up her wings like a rooster and charging you. As a matter of fact, she's so aggressive that we thought she might turn out to be a rooster. But nope. She's a really great layer. She's my biggest chicken and though I don't know for sure, I think she's the one that gives me HUGE eggs.

I have to carry a stick with me when I go to feed them in the summer. In the winter she's more docile and more thankful for the food I bring. So I feel a little softer toward her during the winter... but the summer... arrrrrhh!!

See... there I go... and it's hard to stop there! They're just such fascinating creatures and they give me loads of stories to tell... and I just love to tell a good story.

Quote:
...darn and other bad words.
That one really hit my funny bone today! Thanks for that.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)

Last edited by KimS; 02-12-2007 at 02:05 PM.
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote