View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 02:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default How many have tried GFCF diets for epilepsy?

Here is a thread that I posted on the Epilepsy forum of BrainTalk. I would love to hear about what you guys think about it or have done in this regard.

Thanks in advance,
John

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering how many of you have actually tried gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, corn-free diets for epilepsy? With the ever-increasing awareness of the dietary effects on seizures and the popularity of the ketogenic and now "modified Atkins" diets in people (which I view as helpful but certainly not ideal), I would like to think that more and more are seeing the link between diet and epilepsy.

Most of you know that this has been my passion for the past 7 years, driven by the astounding success I have seen in dogs with epilepsy, at least in those whose owners were totally compliant. I have also now heard of a number of cases in which there were very significant improvements...and even full recoveries...in people who have applied these principles. This should all make sense, especially when we grasp the concept of lectins, which we now know are neurotoxic. Yes, the lectins of gluten can kill neurons.

That fact, combined with the malabsorption syndrome created by the "big 4" (gluten, dairy proteins, soy and corn) and the high glutamate and estrogen contents of these foods, should make it easy to see how food issues can be directly tied to epilepsy. Put "celiac epilepsy" in your search and you will see lots of great info tying these two together.

So, how many have actually tried the elimination diet (or The G.A.R.D. as I call it) for epilepsy? Do any of you have any good success stories to add? I started a thread on this Labrador retriever forum on which to post testimonials, both veterinary and human- http://lab-retriever.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=13 (See Sticky at the top of the page)

I hope this helps,
John
DogtorJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote