View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 07:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendshipUSA View Post
thanks for the links Janke!

I am new to SSI and somewhat new to chat rooms. I just now realized your response included links. The links have great information! It will take us sometime to digest it (understand it).

My wife called the SSI. They recommended to fill out the application on line prior to meeting with them. Our meeting is scheduled late next month. I assume he needs to be at the appointment or can my wife and I represent him? Any recommendations what paperwork to bring with us?

thanks
When I applied for SSI, I never actually met with anyone, but I did have a phone interview.

It was important to have this information:

-my bank account, since they asked if I would like direct deposit if I was awarded SSI

-a complete set of medical records with diagnosis, notes from the doctor, surgeries/procedures, and medications

-a basic summary of how my disabilities prevent me from "normal" activities, such as caring for myself, driving, and working (this will come into play later on when you fill out the function report, but it never hurts to have it on hand in case you get nervous and can't get the words out correctly)

Good luck. It can be a very long process--some have waited years and have gone through many denials. I was just approved yesterday. I wish you the best!

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote