View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hydrocephalus and learning disability

Hello this my first post. I have twin boys that are 7yrs old. They were 7wks premature. They are now in the 2nd grade. At 4mths old Allen was diagnosed with Hydrocephalus. He has had several revisions. He has a programmabe VP shunt. We have been very lucky in the fact that you would never know he has Hydrocephalus. Wade and Allen have been right on track all 7yrs. They were on the same level in subject at the end of 1st grade.
Allen has usually required a little more work on subjects from time to time, but it would come and go. We just thought he had the "I don't give a crap attitude." Now at the beginning of 2nd grade he is right at 1/2 the levels of his twin. Meaning Wade is double on nearly all levels above Allen. We have really been working hard, grounding him thinking it was just his attitude. Then today it finally clicked he is no longer reading some word that he has been reading for 2 years. Some word he will read it immediatly and then turn the page see the same word and can't even sound it out. His spelling tests if I have him write them down to spell it he will make an F everytime.
If I just tell him to tell me outloud he will make a 100. I don't know where to start or even if there is learning problems with Hydrocephalus. How do they test him, who would test him. I am kicking myself thinking we have let it got for 2 yrs when he was probably showing early signs the entire time. If you can shed any light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Miranda
mirandaf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote