View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 02:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Roz -

Be my guest. The article is the closest thing to the Holy Grail I’ve come across since this whole thing started. First, it utilizes a relatively new and completely noninvasive method for measuring levels of IL6 in patients with “early chronic” CRPS-1; then it demonstrates a significant relationship between CRPS and a couple of pro-inflammatory cytokines, including IL6; and then gives strong evidence of a link between those cytokines and the mechanism of vasodilation (or constriction as the case may be) in patients with CRPS-1.

As set forth in the abstract, and to repeat myself as to the first of the three following sentences:
The aim of this study was to determine the involvement of vasoactive substances endothelin-1 (ET-1) and nitric oxide (NO) during early chronic CRPS1.

Results: The levels of IL-6, TNF-α and ET-1 in blister fluid in the CRPS1 extremity versus the contralateral extremity were significantly increased and correlated with each other, whereas NOx levels were decreased.

Conclusion: The NOx/ET-1 ratio appears to be disturbed in the intermediate stage of CRPS, resulting in vasoconstriction and consequently in a diminished tissue blood distribution.
I think I’m ready for some cytokine testing.

Mike
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote