View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 06:36 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It's hard to know what to advise. It is not uncommon for the disc to reherniate after a discectomy. Usually it lasts longer than 3-4 months, but still, it would eventually reherniate anyway so you just got it over with sooner. LOL. Having additional surgery to remove MORE of the disc is kind of "iffy." You need as much of the disc there as possible. It would be better to try to stay as conservative as possible and see if you can't get into pain management. Do you have such clinics in Scotland? If so, they can teach you the proper back mechanics to strengthen the back muscles so this doesn't keep happening ~ cause it probably will. Also, they help you to manage the pain.

The trouble with surgery is it just begets more surgery. I'm really surprised that you didn't say the level above or below hadn't failed. That's generally what happens ~ After I had L4-5 operated on, L3-4 failed. Then I had that operated on, and now the whole spine is a wreck. This was before the internet, and before I'd done any research on spines. Now I know better!!!

If you can - stay conservative. If you can't - be prepared. God bless and take care. Hugs, Leesa
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote