View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Training

Office of vocational rehab handled cost for my training and equipment. I was awarded SSDI while attending school, so they do not cut it for school. I ahve since graduated, become employed working under $500 a month (I can earn under $800 for ssdi to affect it and have on going disability),
My last coorapondance, I gave my ticket to work to office of vacational rehab in August to purchase ewuipment for waork a lap top and software needs. OCR and dragon naturally speaking.

THe ticket to work is a last resort. It gives you nothing except it can prevent a review for medical improvement. I never got one as I had established on going. Keep all medial appointments, refill medications, do your PT to show ongoing. THis shows the ongoing disability.

As a last resort I had to use the ticket, voc rehab wanted funds for purchasing me the nearly $5,000 in equipment.
Office of vocational rehab did have $1,700 or so a semester for school funds. I also had to fill out the state and federal grants and received monies from them.

IF you do work, all medications, any special equipment and even cost of transportation if you need a ride as you can't drive are offset from the $800.
I went to school only 9 credits or three classes a semester. It took me three years to do the two years I needed for my BA. I could take my exams at an untimed pace in a quiet room, I could use my computer and dictate, If needed I could use a tape recoreder for lectures.

This was through the college office to manage disabled students needs.
Good luck, it is very rewarding to challange ourself and achieve something no one can take away. Even if I can't work full time right now, I am working up at a pace I can. I am doing an excellant job for my employer.

I went form being in law enforcement my near whole life to supervising court ordered monitored visits for noncustodial parents.
Just pm me if you have any wuestions,
Dianne

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote