View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 04:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Just because you are on disability does not mean you stop living. I have taken multiple art classes, including one on writing and illustrating children's books. Doesn't mean I will be able to support myself as an artist or an author just because I take a class. It is not easy when you have an invisible disability like MS can be . . . or Crohn's. People always say "but, you look so good." I do not believe disability should preclude one from growing intellectually or obtaining skills they don't have. Where you must be careful is if you are keeping a schedule that indicates you could be productive for an 8 hour day. Full time school is out, as is full-time volunteer work. Both could be seen as evidence of the ability to punch someone else's time clock for pay.

I once (a couple of years ago) did a 5 day painting workshop. We started every day at 9am and quit about 4:30-5pm. By the end of the week I was totally exhausted and convinced it would take a miracle to be able to do that for even one more week. . . let alone every week! Heck, i can't even work at my easel in my home every day . . . some days are just too miserable to be creative. I used to work in a high-stress multi-tasking profession . . . forget it now! If I get pain relief from my Rx mix, I am not in any shape to make decisions with other people's lives at that point!

But, Hoosier-daddy, I hear you. Whenever I have more than 2-3 good days in a row I get my hopes up that maybe, just maybe, it will last. Eight years now. . . and it never lasts. I miss the challenges, interaction with people, and the chance to squirrel away money for "retirement." Ha! Poverty here I come. . . .