View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 04:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Try having the "other" kind of incontinence. After having my entire colon removed, and a pull-through known as a J-pouch instead of an ostomy, I suffer mostly night-time bowel incontinence. (And with no colon, stollis very loose.) I also suffer retention, which I am learning can also be caused by CNS disturbances, as well as just things like scar tissue, etc. I don't deal with it every day, and even have "remissions" where it becomes less of a problem. But on a bad day even climbing stairs is out, unless I don't care if I leak. There are days I am in the bathroom every 15-20 minutes or so. . . . If it is aggravated by worsening nerve involvement, it could eventually mean I have to go back to an ostomy . . . not my choice, as I developed terrible reactions to the adhesives and it leaked constantly.

I was sorry to hear MS can cause incontinence and retention issues, as no one should have to experience this. I have not slept through the night (for more than 4 hours at a stretch) in over 8 years.