View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

She should get tested to see what is going on. B12 is absorbed before the colon. She might be getting more than you think. However, potassium and magnesium may lost more thru diarrhea. Crohn's is more damaging for malabsorption.

It is hard to say, she should be getting counseling from a dietician at the doctor's.

mrsD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
I have a question about Colitis. I'm putting it here because this is about vitamins and minerals, etc.

If a 31 year old woman has colitis, and everything she eats goes right through her, shouldn't she be taking SOME SORT OF VITAMIN SUPPLMENT, B-12, Omegas, I mean, shouldn't a person who goes to the bathroom all day long, well doesn't that imply that she is NOT getting any nutrition whatsoever.

This person weighs about 110 lbs, is tall, very very thin, smokes all day long and drinks more than one should drink.

So isn't this a time bomb waiting to go off?

I know that a regular person doesn't quite get all their nutrition from food, but wouldn't a person with colitis have to be especially diligent about supplementation?

I've mentioned this to her family. They think I'm nuts.

thanks much

Mel

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote