View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 01:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Welcome to the community and sorry to hear about what you’re going through, I am familiar with a lot of your symptoms.

On your job… let me add friends to this also… Keep them informed and let them know what’s going in your life (these are people who care about you and they went through an emotional roller coaster that comes with almost losing a friend or co-worker).
Learn to advocate for yourself… Tell them how the side effects of the head injury effected your cognitive, emotional, and physical abilities and while you haven’t lost your IQ, you will need to adapt to this new personality the accident left you with…let them know that you hate it (say it with a smile), say something funny about the crazy ups and downs you go through, or how you forgot the one thing you went to the store for… I forget that I’m forgetful and laugh at least once a day about it.

Something not mentioned much on the boards is self esteem… You will and can stay positive through this ordeal! One way to help is to mentally slow it down, you can only process so fast, Plan ahead on things you can say like, I’m sorry “Jane” that sounds like a wonderful story, would you mind giving me the cliff notes? I was in an accident that left me with a very poor attention span… People love that ****! They don’t know what to say or what you’re going through, so they avoid it…Be honest and straight forward and they’ll be on board with your recovery.
This was a nice post and you did a great job explaining yourself…took a little longer to post this, but you did it, you’re on your way!
420_Helps is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote