View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Wow, Toni, Do I know what you are talking about. I have had all of these same experiences and emotions. You sound like me a few years back.

After living with mild Post Concussion Syndrome and Multiple Impact Syndrome for 30 years, I hit my head on an overhead beam in 1996. Then, in 1999, I was assaulted and slugged in the back of the head. My wife noticed an immediate personality change. Then, in Jan 2001, I suffered a very minor injury to my head that changed my life for EVER.

The feeling and symptoms you are experiencing are very real and to be expected. They may control your physical body but they do not have to constantly or even frequently control your mind. The path out of the wilderness is not easy but it is worth it.

You have already made an excellent start. And it was not even your doing. You have been fortunate or blessed by God with family that are still standing by you. Many in your condition get kicked to the curb by spouses and family. One of my three children has all but kicked me to the curb. (She has serious PTSD from serving in Iraq, so I do not blame her personally) Count your many blessings. You have already listed them.

First, I'll answer your last question. A neuro-psychological assessment is a battery of tests administered by a psychologist who specializes in neuro-psychology. The battery is designed to measure you brain's functions in a wide range of areas: memory, immediate and short term in visual and auditory areas, cognitive processing speed, motor speed, intelligence in a few different areas, verbal functions, and some other areas. It will usually include some emotional/behavioral assessments.

It is an excellent way to get to know the new you. It will help you accept that you are not going crazy but instead are working with a broken brain. A broken brain does not mean you can not like a full life and bless others around you. You just need to learn about your new ways of expression and relationships.

You mentioned your struggle to write your expose of yourself. Congratulations, you did a good job and expressed yourself very well. It may have taken a long time but as you continue to put your thoughts down on the computer keyboard, you will get better.

I tend to ramble if I talk orally. If I put my thoughts on the computer screen, I can reread them and edit them until I understand what I am saying so hopefully, others will too. I use the computer screen as my short term memory.

You sound like an intelligent person. Concussions often do not do nearly as much damage to intelligence as they do to memory and processing functions. The result is a really bad bottle neck of ideas as they try to get to our mouths or fingers on the keyboard.

Oh, by the way. You will help yourself and many on this forum if you would use paragraph spaces at least once very 5 or 6 lines. It will help us and likely you read through what you have typed. I can not follow from the end of one line to the start of the next line if there are more than 5 or 6 lines in a paragraph. I bet it was part of your struggle typing out your post.

This is one of the many simple tips you will learn that will make your life easier.

Take it easy on yourself. You have suffered a great and traumatic injury.

Over your past, you have gained many great skills and experiences. Now, you have a totally new set of skills to learn. Don't rush it. It will take time. Your brain took years to develop into a mature starting from when you were an infant. The skills you need to live a full life with PCS/mTBI will come slowly too.

You just started learning to talk as a survivor of mTBI. Your post was a great start. Take it slow and let us know about your biggest struggles. There is a wealth of experience on this forum. I bet there is every conceivable symptom represented on this forum.

When you post, try to keep you posts simple. It will be easier on you. Once you get more experience on this forum, you can grow as you learn. Nobody is in a rush. Many of us have such poor awareness of time passing that rushing is of little value.

I have a similar problem as you. I can remember something happened but usually have no idea when it happened. Sequencing and multi-tasking is likely the most frustrating symptom of PCS. But then, the world is in too much of a hurry anyway.

I think I have likely already overwhelmed you.

Hope to hear more from you.

My best to you.

ps, Applying for SSDI is a big step. It takes a strong effort to apply but the process is very worthwhile. Good for you.

Oh yeh, I pasted your big post into MS Word so I could add lots of paragraph spacings. I really wanted to read what you had to say. Glad I did.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
shezbut (10-05-2010), Theta Z (11-10-2010)