View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Greetings and welcome,

Oh so sorry to hear of your accident and your struggles with your recovery.
I am glad you have found this site because it is very encouraging, knowledgeable and caring. I have learned here how to be easy on myself as I live this new life with PCS.

I injured myself back in March 2010. This summer, I underwent the neuro-pysche testing. As said previously, it is exhausting. I slept the minute I got in the car at 2pm and slept to the next day.

During my testing, they asked if I wanted breaks but I kept going, pushing through even as the headache became more intense. By the end, it was very apparent I had reached my limit, which is what I wanted to do because I am a music teacher and my job is all about multi-tasking and keeping my students engaged, very mentally demanding even without a brain injury.

I was then referred to receive cognitive remediation with a speech and language pathologist and a cognitive behavioral therapist. I have met with the speech and language pathologist. Oh my, it was so refreshing to have someone affirm that I was not making this up. She understands!!!! I feel so relieved in knowing I have an advocate in the medical field. My neurologist however, dismissed me, no further appointments, and said it was all psychiatric.

These tests revealed where I am at, medically. My next steps are the rehab and well the job, that is way down the road for now. Healing is the priority and receiving the supports that will bring me back or lead me in the direction best suited for me.

Know you are going in the right direction and taking the right steps needed to uncover your abilities, so you can continue on your journey to recovery.
Peace
Grady Lady
Grady Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote