View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default That description--

--is pretty much mine, with the addition of acute onset (spreading in hours, all over my body in days). I never had any numbness or sensory loss, but a lot of burning, dysethetic pain, prickiling, electrical jolts, sensations of things that weren't really there, etc.

I will say that I also have some spinal compression problems with cervical nerve roots, and the sensations that causes can include some numbness, but those symptoms are correlated with degree of compression and muscle positioning and are of a fundamentally different sort than my small-fiber ones.

I don't know what kind of neurologist you have that can't confirm neuropathy without sensory loss--positive symptoms are as prevalent as negative ones in small-fiber neuropathies and in neuronopathies (which involve toxic or autoimmune attack on the dorsal root ganglia, which can extend to small fibers).

Refersh my memeory--have you had skin biopsy to confirm small fiber disruption? Other testing?

Too many neuros who don't specilize and don't know think that neuropathy only occurs in individual nerves post-trauma or slowly in a glove and stocking distribution--it's prudent to remind them about Gullain-Barre and other more global, acute onset conditions. Link them to this:

http://neuromuscular.wustl.edu/time/...htm#neuropathy

Last edited by glenntaj; 09-28-2010 at 06:36 AM.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote