View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 12:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Update

The positive side: The K teacher has no longer been giving me paper-cutting jobs to do.

The down side: I think that she is realizing, too, that there do not appear to be a lot of classroom needs that need to be filled. She suggested feeling free to think about looking for other ways, rather than her classroom, to fill my volunteer time. I think that she's willing to continue having me there, but realizes that there isn't a lot for me to do.

This week, due to some field trip and other schedule issues, she was not going to need me anyways, so I have a little bit of time to look into other options, prior to deciding whether to return there.
  • I've called the preschool that I mentioned in my Sept. 16 post, that utilizes only volunteers for their teaching staff. They'd be glad to take me on as a sub, but, as I suspected, have all of their teaching positions filled for the school year. I plan to go down there this week and fill out the appropriate forms.
  • I went to the preschool that I was employed at last year, and put in an application for either a teacher or a sub (but, those positions are likely all filled too.)
  • I'm checking Help Wanted ads, but, I don't expect to find much there.
  • I called and left a message for the principal at the school I've been volunteering at to see if there is a different teacher who could use a regular volunteer. I'd be available M,W,F for an hour or two on a regular basis. The hours that I'm available are pretty flexible.
Just tired of sitting at home so much. And, would like to find a volunteer position that is fulfilling, not simply one that fills time.

(I continue to be actively involved in church things -- teaching Sunday School, Wed evenings, doing children's story, playing piano for worship band and other things, such as a ladies' Mission Study Circle tomorrow evening, and special music for one of the traditional worship services next month, coordinating email and phone tree communication for my adult Sunday School class -- and I volunteer at two area nursing homes -- visiting/reading to residents at one, and playing "dinner music" once a week, and sometimes for group singing during devotion time at another. But, none of those take up time during the days on M,W,F, and I'm just bored then.
I initially had a difficult time adjusting to being on disability and not being employed, but, when I spend some of my spare time doing volunteer things that I enjoy, I have come to see my disability checks as a blessing.)

~ Faith

Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote