View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Alice, I love sarcasm. What I don't love is a pulmonologist who thinks that 66% oxygen saturation while sleeping during my crisis doesn't even warrant a Bi-Pap or C-Pap. No way would she think I should have one now. Yes, I'm getting a second opinion.

When I've had the overnight oximetry done, my oximeter corresponds exactly to theirs. And that reading of 85% was while lying on my bed, not moving, perfectly hydrated, no extremes of temperature and with new batteries in the oximeter. That combined with my extreme shortness of breath, which may or may not be MG, is what is concerning. I can't sleep during sleep studies or I'd do that. I appreciate all of your feedback.

Annie59, I'm not an airliner but I sort of feel like I've been hijacked. Not that your questions don't need answers too. 95%, like Alice inferred, can be okay for some and not for others. It all depends upon you overall health and exactly what is going on. If you can find a good pulmonologist who will do arterial blood gases, as well as breathing tests, that would be best. Have they done a chest CT? Have you been assessed by a cardiologist? Shortness of breath can be from more than one reason, if when you have MG. When they do oximetry in the ER, make sure you are walking around doing it. MG is all about weakness upon exertion and if your MG is doing worse, those numbers will tank while walking or shortly after stopping (after your heart stops going higher). When MG is bad and oxygen is relatively lower, the heart will beat faster to get you more oxygen. So it's not only the oxygen saturation but what your heart is doing (at rest). Good ER docs will also do a beside spirometry or at least a peak flow meter. Do you have a peak flow meter? Knowing what your "normal" readings are will help them to determine what is too low. Alice had good advice about getting the best doctors you can, who will then be your "backup" when you do have to go to the ER.

Jana, I think everyone needs to be specific - now that there are two of us named Annie - which one of us they are referring to. I think you posted that for Annie59. Thanks for the info for Annie59.

I would appreciate any other feedback anyone would have. Thanks.

Annie

Last edited by AnnieB3; 09-27-2010 at 06:29 PM.
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote