View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default It gets better...

Lurking,

I am beginning to realize that most good neurologists believe that many of the drugs we take are "iffy". I sometimes think this is why my MDS is recommending DBS sooner than later; not ready yet, I am hopeful that vaccine or GAD GABA therapy works before that time.

As for Azilect, I have been skeptical because the co-inventor (Youdim) relentlessly pursues any possible angle of setting this drug apart from other PD treatments. It's like they are desperately trying to come up with some unique quality that might exist. Rasagiline has neuroprotective activity; it is an antidepressant; it's leading to a new treatment for Alzheimer's; it induces GDNF neurotrophic factor; it is an iron chelator...I mean really, it does all that? A search on pubmed leaves you reeling. I would think it is primarily great at one thing, and they haven't quite discovered what that is yet other than it is better than Selegiline because it doesn't break down into an amphetamine. Sorry about that rant, but I get so peeved at all the different slants on this drug and it all centers on profit.

Not to worry...we are all doomed. I just read an article that points out our gold standard Sinemet leaves behind toxic goodies in the form of O-methyldopa that in turn increases homocysteine levels. This can cause serious vascular problems involving arteries and may also put out the welcome mat to dementia! To counteract this it is recommended we increase our folic acid or take Entacapone (a COM inhibitor which many here do take), but that in turn increases N-methyldopa which can produce a toxic compound that results in...PD symptoms!

I read this and thought now scientists are just screwing with us, but no it's our reality. Gives new meaning to the adage "It can cure you, if it doesn't kill you first."
Role of homocysteine in the treatment of Parkinson's

On plus side...take a look at green tea and rasagiline thread here at NT

Laura

Last edited by Conductor71; 09-27-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: fixing links
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote