View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 08:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Chiari or Crazy??

Hi everyone. Just joined NeuroTalk. I'm new so bear with me. I had posted an earlier thread about my Chiari. Here is the scoop. I am an emergency room nurse. I have had headaches since I was 16. I had a head on collision in 2001 and suffered a closed head injury. I went to see my PMD when I started having a "different" kind of headache. This headache was like none other I have ever experienced. It feels like the right side of my head is going to literally blow off, like a pressure cooker. The pain on the right side of my neck is at times almost unbearable. I have had weakness on my left side (not all the time) and my balance is off. Along with this I now have terrible right ear pain and pressure to the point that it is now causing a decrease in my hearing. Another thing I noticed is that my blood pressure is all over the place and my heart rate is now running over 100. I feel very absent minded at times with a decrease in my ability to remember things. Recently I have been hospitalized 3 times and even though it shows on my MRI (brain and neck) and CT that I have mild Chiari 1 Malfomation, the neurologist at the hospital said there was nothing wrong with me, and I need a psychiatric consult, yet he put me on seizure medicine for the new onset seizures I have been having. I am deeply saddened as a patient and as a nurse that there are not many doctors or nurses that understand this diagnosis. So, to wrap it up, I am now unable to work, unable to drive, I'm losing my apartment, my children are moving in with my father and I am losing everything I have worked so hard for. I have an appointment in Miami coming up but I am scared to tell him what my symptoms are in fear that they won't listen to me and my symptoms. I know my Chiari is "mild", yet the symptoms say otherwise. I am heading to Miami soon to see a neurologist down there but I am really concerned that he too, will not listen to me or my list of symptoms. Does anyone have any thoughts on my story and advise on how to handle the doctor in Miami? Thanks so much
rnforgod is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote