Thread: Paralytic Drugs
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Suxamethonium is one of those drugs. A person with CMT or NMD should not have this drug. In a person with CMT we may normally leak K+ so that a further increase in the levels of K+ in the blood may cause abnormal heart rhythms. There is a test to check K+ levels.

This drug is listed on my medical alert "information" that I have in my records at the doctor's office. It is not on the Medical Alert list for CMTers but I know about it from information I have looked at from a site well known to CMTers. That site explains anesthesia and such very well. I will not have Suxamenthonium. There are other muscle relaxers that they can use if needed. Most of us are already "relaxed", so to speak, and do not need such a thing. There are other problems that it "can" cause such as hyperkalemia, malignant hyperthermia, death, etc. The Medical Alert list for CMTers is mainly for "drugs" that can raise havoc for a person with CMT.

I do not even want any muscle relaxer in pill form for cramps and such in my back as it can lay me out. Of course, Suxamenthonium is when you have an operation and is with the anesthesia. Not for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."

Last edited by Kitt; 09-28-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote