Thread: how important
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Honestly, my neuro is way more important to me than my rheumatologist. Rheumatology seems to me a very confused specialty. I have found with most rheumies, unless you display the specific antibody patterns in your blood, they seem disinterested in treating. What I mean is, if your ANA is positive, even highly positive and your ENA (specific for Lupus, RA, Sjogren's, Poly/Dermatomyositis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, etc. are negative, they may have nothing to offer. I guess it depends on the clinic, but I have seen several, including a few who drew NO blood and dismissed me with Fibro.

My neuro diagnosed me with Sjogren's and I have yet to find a rheumie who concurred or had ANY ounce of interest in my case. I am still unconvinced that I have Sjogren's altho, other than the specific antibody, I have a classic case. But without more interest in finding the actual antibody, or, any other cause, this is it.

What I am saying is make the appointment....but don't necessarily put all your eggs in that basket. I hope for your sake that you get that gem of a rheumie that wants to look beyond the obvious. (If you do want IVIG, likely the neuro will have more luck with that than the rheumie.)

Others not so bad:
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote