View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 03:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks for posting positive stories

Hi Bex - and others,

I like you searched the internet for advice months prior to my surgery, and struggled to find positive accounts and constructive advice. Cheers for taking the time to post it up Bex!

I had a left cervical rib removal just last week, 20th Sep. It was impinging on the main artery as well as the nerves.

I am in quite a bit of pain but managing it with paracetomol and gabapentin (for nerve pain). I also have very limited mobility, and a lot of stiffness but I know that is to be expected from what I've read here.
I am pretty in the dark however about recovery time and what I will and won't be able to to do over the next few weeks and months. Accounts seem to vary so much don't they?

Bex - please keep me posted as I'd love to know how you get on. I am also very active, 30 years old and used to going running/ do yoga regularly. I'm hoping I'll be able to do that again in the not too distant future, but it seems a million miles away right now!!! I'm surprised you're going to the gym, is jogging etc. ok for you after so short a recovery time?

All best,
SpareRib

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexUK View Post
Hi there,

I know this is pretty late to be adding to the thread was started a while ago, but I'm new on here thought I'd add my experiences seeing as I just had my cervical rib removal on 24th August. Before that I spent hours searching the internet to find out how other people had got on after the op so thought I'd contribute!

The procedure was supra-clavicular and I had the scalene muscle as well as the right cervical rib removed as it was constricting the subclavian artery and I was experiencing emboli in my fingernails as a result, as well as a pulsing mass in my neck (an early aneurysm as it turns out).

1.How was it right after surgery? Day of? The first couple days?
The surgery took 4 hours but went to plan and when I woke up my whole shoulder was completely numb, so had no pain at all. The worst thing was actually the nausea - I was in recovery for a couple of hours before they got it under control. I was attached to a patient-controlled analgesia pump (morphine) so during the night and the next day I used this and had very little pain. I was pretty wiped out, and drifted in and out for about 12 hours after the op.

2.What was it was like when you left the hospital?
I was discharged 44hours after the operation and although I was stiff and sore, I managed fine on 4g paracetamol/day. Definitely get someone who's a smooth driver to get you home though!
The thing I have found most difficult is being able to find a comfortable position to sleep in - the first week I basically had a pile of pillows and slept on my back, although I'm naturally a side-sleeper. After a couple of weeks I was more able to lie on my side, with a pillow to support the weight of my arm.

3.What was it like getting around?
My shoulder was stiff so reaching for things was difficult, but my doctors had told me to keep it moving and the physiotherapist had given me exercises to do so it didn't freeze, so it started to get more mobile fairly quickly.
I mostly found that I got tired much more quickly than I ever have before - I'm 26 and a gym-bunny so it was a shock to find how difficult it was just to walk down the road when I first ventured out about a week after the op.

4.What did you need help with? ie. how steady were you, how well could you take care of yourself? Help going to the bathroom? Showering/bathing?
I was tired for the first week or so, I think due to the general anaesthetic and the trauma to my body, but I could shower by myself and get dressed (but only in clothes that didn't involve me lifting my arm!).
The only thing I really struggled with was brushing my hair, which I had to enlist help with!

5.Did you need help with the incision at all? Anyone just have incisions above and below the collarbone?
I had an incision above my collarbone and was told to leave the dressings on for the first 2 days and then change it every 2 days after until it was completely sealed at 7-10 days. As my chest is now pretty much numb on the right side (my T1 nerve was also caught over my rib, so was stretched in surgery) I didn't have much problem in changing the dressings myself, but it's useful to have someone to help.
The incision was really neat and was stitched closed with subcutaneous stitches, so no need to have them removed.

6.How did you manage pain? Did you need ice a lot?
I was told to use a hot water bottle on my shoulder to relax the muscles, and it did seem to help. Other than that, I just stayed on top of taking my paracetamol 4x a day and made sure I rested up and didn't overdo it. It can get frustrating to be sitting around, but it's just not worth making yourself feel worse.

7.What was it like the first couple of days?
(see above)

8.The first week?
9.The second week?

I got back on my feet fairly quickly (I think I've been fairly lucky with my recovery time) and started back at uni after 2.5 weeks. My shoulder is still painful sometimes, especially when I'm on my feet a lot (my trapezius is tending to cramp up a lot) but I'm getting back to my normal routine and don't find that it's limiting me too much at this point (3.5 weeks post op)... my physio said I can start going to the gym again (as long as I take it easy) and I've got to start building up the strength in that arm as well.
The wound healed pretty well and now I'm massaging it with bio-oil as advised and it's getting much less noticable

10.a month post op?
11.two months post op? etc.?

Don't know yet!

12.How did you deal with meals, dishes, laundry, shopping? Did you use public transportation?
Luckily my boyfriend has been amazing and doing most of this for me. I still have limited mobility in my neck, but my physio thinks I should be able to drive again soon.

13.How active were you, ie. walking around?
I tried to get up and about quite quickly, but the first week or so I did feel wiped out. Going out for 30mins at a time were more than enough for me at the start, but I'm now doing normal days and am feeling more myself.

Like I say, I seem to be lucky with my recovery time and I actually think the numbness across my chest (including my incision site) may have actually made it more bearable pain-wise, especially in the first couple of weeks.

I just thought I'd post as it can be scary hearing about everything that can go wrong before the op, but it can go right. I'm actually grateful that in my case it was arterial TOS as it meant I didn't have a lot of choice about whether or not to have surgery as the risk of not going ahead were too high. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my subclavian artery will be in good shape when I go for my 6-week follow up with my surgeon and will have repaired itself without further intervention.
SpareRib is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote