15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
I'm confused a bit,
She's dying for sure??
but still doing chemo?

What do the drs say about her status?
Usually they know when the end is getting near and recommend hospice.

Some do just decide to give up the fight and they just want to be free of the drs, appts & pain and suffering...

The main thing if she is nearing the end is to keep her comfortable and as pain free as possible.

We spent much time with brother in law when he was dying from cancer {liver & other}, He wouldn't go on his own - his elderly father had to drag him in to ER. But he was too far advanced for any chemo , so that was it.
He just wanted to be home where he could go in peace all he would eat the last few days was watermelon.
He wanted no covers on him and kicked them off quite often - but it was summer in CA at the time - even though the AC was on.
He passed away 6 days after finally going to the hospital.
Thanks for all the advise. We have done everything suggested over the last 2months ensure, cranberry, apple, orange juice, straws nothing is working for her. She complains of that metal taste all the time, but she refuses to drink. As far as her status she has Stage 4 Lung cancer with one lung removed and yes they are still giving her chemo. We asked the question of why are we still doing chemo and the answer is ethically they have to offer it until the see signs start showing of close impending death, or she refuses and as of yesterday her white and red blood counts are low but still within the range the only low number was platelets.She is completely coherent so we really have no choice but just to support her. She will die within the next 6 months or maybe more maybe less but she wants to continue. The visiting nurse suggested hospice but at this point I don't think there is a need. They did RX paxcil which I filled today and I hope it helps because I believe depression is almost her whole attitude problem.

She is scheduled for chemo on Monday the 4th, a cat scan is being done and then the chemo. I hope the cat scan shows improvement.

Thanks to all.

Gabbycakes
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (10-01-2010)