Thread: Any Advice?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Certainly, it can be more difficult to get control of pain if you are playing catch up, but waking someone up to take their pain med doesn't make a lot of sense in this situation. If he sleeps that poorly, surely he must wake up to toss and turn or go to the bathroom between 4 and 8 am......Why can't he take a pill himself then ?

Does he really get 8 hours of pain relief (or decreased pain) ? Everyone does metabolize meds differently, but everyone I know who's taken Percocet say it lasts 3 to 6 hours.

Other things to consider........

Without hounding him, I think it's a good thing to encourage him to use his pain med (if needed) as often as he can per the prescription. I think some people try to be too stoic.....and not use their pain med unless the pain is severe. No one's body needs that kind of stress. Taking the pain med for "only" moderate pain might make him a lot more pleasant to be with and let him enjoy his family more.

That said, also try to remember that chosing to take or not take pain meds might be one of the few things he gets to control. His body isn't listening to the instructions he's giving it. He can't control his pain (even with meds), he can't control his sleep, I'm sure this means some loss of income so he could feel he can't provide for his family. Some times, you have to let him control what he can.

There.......Didn't that make it all even more confusing ?

Hang in there. He is lucky to have a supportive wife who is trying to learn how to help him best.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dreambeliever128 (09-30-2010), loretta (09-29-2010)