View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 10:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks Annie for your thoughts. I sorta felt the same way. I think he is trying to "whip a bear with a hickory stick" When I went I was really hoping for Pred. I have already cut back on his Mestinon dose. He had me on 3 60mg a day and a 180mg slow release for over night. The first couple of days on that dose I could barely function so my wife stopped the morning 60mg and I did much better. She felt it was overlaping with the slow release. When she did this she called the nurse and it took 3 days to reply that that was ok. I would really like to find another doctor that will treat me but we are very limited in our area with MG "experts" Heck the drug store had to order both Meds.

No you did not upset me. I am seeking thoughts from those that are experienced in the area of MG. I am so new at this it is scary.

Thank you
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Mike, I'm glad the appointment went well.

I'm confused about something though. Why Neostigmine, aka Prostigmin? It does the same thing as Mestinon and doesn't last as long. So the chance of it helping your ptosis and double vision (DV) is basically the same as Mestinon.

Usually the only thing that helps some people with DV is Pred or another immunosuppressant. I'm sorry if that upsets you but that's sort of the reality with MG.

You can use gel packs or cold washcloths to improve the eye area, though not too cold.

I would be very wary about taking both of those drugs at the same time. The chance of having an overdose of the drugs will be higher due to that. Too much of Mestinon or Neostigmine and you can have a cholinergic crisis, which is when the drug, not the disease, makes you weaker. Please check with your pharmacist about that! I've attached the PDF on it for you.

I had to point that out. Sorry if that upsets you.

Annie
pingpongman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote