View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 10:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by doydie View Post
All of my sx, paresthesia, weakness, etc. started on my right side but I am left handed. Have you done any research on the fact that it's the non-dominant side?
That's one of the aspects of this I am looking into. But, I had a woman in the exam room the other day who had her breast cancer on the right and her cataract in her right eye and she was right handed so I am not looking for super strong conclusions here, just trying to track down a definite trend I have been seeing. The only person I know personally that had a unilateral presentation of MS had it on the left side. When I did an Internet search for "left side, right side multiple sclerosis", it appeared to demonstrate a left-sided preponderance but I'm still reading.

And again, since the left hemisphere controls the right side, I was actually wondering whether I was going to find that the right side was affected more neurologically because the left brain was more commonly affected OR that the left side of the body was going to be more affected neurologically (e.g. MS attacks) because it is on the left half of the body where everything else seems to be affected more frequently. That is the real reason for the post. It makes more sense to me that the right side of the body would be more affected since the big issue appears to be the diseased state of the brain (oligodendrocytes).

I plan to discuss this with a few chiropractors I know and see if they have seen any trends one way or another.

Thanks for all of your inputs thus far. I hope that current research will shed light on this serious condition and bring relief to its sufferers. I would encourage anyone with MS to check heavily into the dietary aspects. "Excitotoxins" (glutamate and aspartate) and lectins are things to look into, as are the roles of viruses. I'm sure that most of you have read about the role of vitamin D. That's a big clue, I think.
DogtorJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote