View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 01:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Switching a childs menu is harder the older they are. I have worked with kids ages 13 and under for over 10 years and the number of children and whole familys going gluten free has grown over the last 3 years. In a church of 450 I had more gluten free kids than kids allergic to peanuts. I myself have been gluten free for over 3 years.
It was hard in the begaining but now there are so many good and wonderful products that make it so you aren't missing out. I recomend trying to keep their daily menu as close to normal as possible just without gluten. And get the good stuff, a PB&J needs to be on bread that is as close as possible to the norm. Betty Crocker now has a wonderful line of cake, cookie and brownie mixes that are all gluten free, and I promise you they ROCK!!
Next time the kids are going someplace where they are serving food-pizza and cookies, volunteer to bring some for your kids and some to share with the othe kids. Kids now days understand that people have allergies and if you dont make it a big deal and try to just replace and explane they do pretty well.
Sorry I dont live in OK or know any in the area who can be a close support.
Good Luck
mbrook is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote