View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 03:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hi Janen

Quote:
Originally Posted by janen View Post
I see so much information on SCS. My doctor is tellin me that the pain pump is my last option for my pain to go away from a bad hip replacement
3 years ago. I am looking for as much insight as possible.
Janen, I am not an expert on hip pain or what can be done after a hip replacement surgery but I do know about spinal cord stimulators and pain pumps. I have had three neurosurgeries which has left me with severe, chronic headaches and neck pain. I actually have a pain pump implant but unfortunately for me, it was unsuccessful. So, now the Doctors are recommending a SCS in my neck but for my situation, it is a long shot for helping my pain due to sevre scar tissue from the surgeries. It makes it difficult ffor them to get the leads in.

I know more about the SCS and how it works in the neck: so some of my information might not be entirely accurate but will try to give you as much info as I can. Depending on your type of pain and its' location, you could possibly be a candidate for a SCS or just a stimulator in general. The SCS include leads which are long wires with electrodes attached that will be placed into your spinal column with the intention that the electrodes will be able to get to the nerves that go to your hip or leg. If they can get the electrodes in the right location, the hope is that you will be able to feel the stimulation instead of the pain. However, I have no idea if it would work for your pain. You would do a trial first just like for a pain pump at a hospital or outpatient center (depends on Doctor) where they only put the wires in and see if it is helpful. If it is, then they will pull them out and wait until you heal before putting in the implant. The implant includes the leads and the machine that runs it which can be placed in many diffirent places such as your lower abdomen depending on where leads are.

As for the pain pump, it can be very effective for most pain and can make the medicines you are taking orally less harmful on your body because it bypasses your blood stream and goes directly into your spinal column which also allows you to use less medication. Of course it comes with some drawbacks, the pump can change your hormones ( I was only 27 and it has made me unable to have kids), can make you gain weight, etc.. The trial is meds being fed using a catheter into your spinal column and will show if it will help you or not. Definetly ask your Doc about a stimulator and research it because in my opinion, I would rather not be on drugs for the rest of my life but still a pump could help you a lot. To find a Doctor who uses these procedures, you can go to Medtronic or St. Jude Medical website who make the machines and they have a list of all Doctors who use their products and can answer general questions that you may have. I hope that I was able to help. If you have any more questions, just let me know. Hang in there and good luck!
Tired in Texas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Rrae (10-04-2010)